Westworld

Keiner mag sie so wirklich, aber ohne wollen wir auch nicht: Alles rund um die Flimmerkiste.
Antworten
dejin

Re: Westworld

Beitrag von dejin » Di 21. Apr 2020, 10:40

Ich gucke auch. Ne gute, aber schon anstrengende Staffel... also fordernd (was ja nicht verkehrt ist)
Keine Western-Android-Meta-Ebene-Gewalt-Serie mehr, sondern jetzt ne Ghost-in-the-shell-existentialistische-Philosophie-was ist Bewusstsein?-Blade-Runner-Sci-Fi-Serie (mit nem Mech!)
Seit Folge 4 aber echt an Tempo gewonnen & langsam trödeln Antworten auf die vielen Fragen und Mysterien ein.
The awkward moment when you get in the van and the old man has no candy.

Savior

Beitrag von Savior » Sa 4. Jul 2020, 14:53

Will das auch noch gucken (wenn's irgendwann vollständig ist), aber wie toll war bitte diese Soundtrack-Competition? Da haben einige meiner Lieblingskünstler was schönes zusammengeschraubt... und könnten nicht unterschiedlicher sein. 😍
[+] Spoiler

Savior

Beitrag von Savior » Fr 10. Jul 2020, 12:12

Wow.

[+] Spoiler
the competition that everyone took seriously, except for the jury

Don Kolleone

Beitrag von Don Kolleone » Fr 10. Jul 2020, 12:43

@Spoiler: :lol:

Dieser David Kudell hat Chuzpe :mrgreen: :clap:
"Krieg ist wie Kino. Vorne flimmerts, hinten sind die besten Plätze." - Arnim Dahl

Savior

Beitrag von Savior » Fr 10. Jul 2020, 13:12

Hier die Meinung vom oben von mir verlinkten DJ Hidden:
Some of you might remember that about a month ago, I entered a competition. I normally do not participate in battles of this nature but since everyone was in full lockdown in the Netherlands, I had just lost a lot of gigs which would have normally filled my weekends and I found myself in the studio a lot regardless, I figured: "What the hell".

It seemed fun and it turned out to be exactly that. I had written scores before but never for an action scene in a television series that I actually really like. I had a great time attempting to understand the scene, picking it apart, and adding my own spice to it through music. As many of you know, a lot of my work is filled with subtle elements: little details that I believe make my tracks what they are.

My take on the car chase scene from the Westworld tv-series was quite subtle: I wanted to write music that would "work" in the show as I thought that to be the "mission" as described by the company that organized it, Spitfire Audio. In their rules and regulations, they had also stated that you would not be allowed to change the dialogue or sound effects. So, while the provided audio was not even stereo and I definitely considered at least mixing it into a decent 5.1 version, I did not touch anything I heard in the version I downloaded off their website.

As an experienced (dare I say veteran) composer of many different genres, I did try to blend elements from other musical tastes than just the typical Hollywood soundtrack. I used a blend of electronic bits and pieces combined with more traditional orchestral parts to enhance scenes but overall, I did feel like writing a supporting score: nothing that would take away from those sound effects, the dialogue, or the general mood of the television series.

When I wrote my version, I had not seen season 3 of the show. So when Dolores asks what is going on and the reply she gets is: "I think he's switching genres", I had no idea what was going on. I did not know about mind-altering drugs that could make the user experience the world differently yet I figured I would try to make the viewer/listener feel that *something* had changed.

As I never entered this competition to win and I have been quite busy with other projects, I had not thought about my entry until tonight. I decided to check out who actually won. After sending my own bit, I had seen a handful of other entries and while I thought they were not bad, I did think mine could actually have a chance of at least getting noticed.

The first thing I noticed was that 11000 other composers had entered. That is quite amazing but also understandable: it was a fun project to take part of and the chance of actually getting noticed by anyone in Hollywood is a dream for many. Considering the fact that Spitfire Audio claimed that the writers and producers of the show would actually be involved as judges simply made it that much more interesting. I think most people enter these types of things in the hope of someone listening to their work so it is logical so many people entered.

Listening to 11000 entries requires about 30 days of constant viewing and listening so I wonder how many the aforementioned people actually got to see. That is ok though: that is how these things go. I have been active in the music industry long enough to understand how it works. When you do a job for a company, get ready to deal with rejection: your music gets discarded in the blink of an eye and it is something you have to learn to get used to.

So, I really was not expecting anything out of this. Yet, when I watched the video that reveals the winner, I admittedly was a bit surprised.

I would expect an entry like that to score points: it is definitely unique. It is well-executed on a technical level. It is... funny?

And that is more or less why I am confused. The winning version is essentially a chiptune score - including matching sound effects and little bits lifted straight from games from the 8-bit videogame era. It certainly has an effect: it is surprising and again... funny?

Does it work for the scene? I do not believe so. I primarily found the score to be distracting, almost like the composer it trolling their audience. As I wrote something that was a bit "different" as well, I get the gist of what the person who wrote this was trying to do. I just think it is a bit much. If the POV (point of view) visuals of the character in this segment would have also switched to some sort of 8-bit look, I might have understood this approach better. Now, it primarily feels out of place.

I have two other issues with this score. Again, on itself, I do think it is a fun entry. I think it is well done and I think it deserved to get noticed. I do not think it deserved to win. You can not tell me that out of those 11000 entries, there was not something better they could have picked. The first "other issue" I have is that its creator modified the sound effects, which was not allowed. He did not change that much - but it is audible and I can imagine that some people felt cheated.

As some of you may know, I also like video game soundtracks a lot. I listen to them regularly and I have written some bits and pieces myself. And that is my final issue with this entry: the chiptune score is not that good. There is a particular aesthetic missing from this piece of music. It lacks that "goosebump moment" that you have when you are playing a particularly good game: that little bit that makes you pick up that controller one more time to try that difficult to beat level just once more.

With 11000 entries, I also wonder if this composer was the only one to go the chiptune route... or the gimmicky one. Admittedly, I considered it: writing an all-out crazy, hard drum & bass or hardcore score that would be so different from all other entries that it would get noticed just because of that. I did not because I did not think it would fit the show. It might even come across a bit cheesy as it would not fit the context regardless of the genre switching element.

On the one hand, I applaud the judges for picking something that is different. It underlines the idea that as a composer, in order to stand out, you have to do things that deviate. At the same time, I can not help but feel that this winning entry is actually a bit of a "safe" choice if you want to express that viewpoint. Connecting it with retro-culture is fun - but not winning-entry fun. And well, I might have even overlooked all that if this version had given me that true gamer-moment. But it did not.

So, here is the video with this reveal. It actually got a *lot* of backlash - a lot of which has been deleted by Spitfire Audio. They have also removed the likes and dislikes and one of the company's owners recorded his own video in which he both distanced himself from the competition yet, at the same time, defended the choices the judges/the company made.

I am curious to hear what you think.
Preach!

Doctor Schnabel

Beitrag von Doctor Schnabel » Di 10. Mai 2022, 08:46

Nahaufnahme

Beitrag von Nahaufnahme » Fr 4. Nov 2022, 22:53

Endlich eingestellt: keine fünfte Staffel.

Frau Stockl

Beitrag von Frau Stockl » Fr 4. Nov 2022, 23:13

Bin über die erste Folge nicht hinausgekommen.
~ Hoffnung ist die kleine Schwester der Verzweiflung.

dejin

Beitrag von dejin » Sa 5. Nov 2022, 05:15

3te Staffel bis zur Hälfte gesehen...
English teilweise ohne Untertitel war mir irgendwann zu anstrengend- hab ehrlich gesagt nicht mehr durchgeblickt.
The awkward moment when you get in the van and the old man has no candy.

Doctor Schnabel

Beitrag von Doctor Schnabel » Sa 5. Nov 2022, 16:53

Hab von Season 4 während der 1. Folge abgebrochen. Season 3 fand ich schon nur mässig und auch die 2. klar schlechter als die erste. Lohnen tut nur diese.

Mit anderen Worten: kein Verlust, dass die Serie eingestellt wurde!

Antworten